In this article, we will review the weight loss injection called Saxenda (liraglutide) and answer any questions related to Saxenda and it’s effect on weight loss. Saxenda is weight loss injection approved by the US Food and Drug Administration in 2014 to help people who are obese to lose weight in addition to a reduced calorie diet and increased physical activity.[table “2” not found /]
Some of the topics we will cover and the questions we will answers include the following:
- What is Saxenda?
Saxenda (liraglutide) is a GLP 1(Gut Like Peptide) analogue that helps reduce hunger and is an effective way to help patients who are overweight or obese lose weight.
- Who makes Saxenda?
Saxenda is manufactured by the Danish pharmaceutical company called Novo Nordisk.
- What is the dose of Saxenda?
The starting dose of Saxenda is 0.6 mg subcutaneously with weekly dose titrations going up by 0.6 mg until it reaches 3 mg daily in a course of about 5 weeks.
- Does insurance cover Saxenda?
Some insurances do, some do not, it depends on the employer as some add obesity medication coverage and others do not.
- What is the mechanism of action of Saxenda?
Saxenda helps control appetite by simulating GLP-1, a physiological regulator of appetite.
- Can I take Saxenda and alcohol together?
Caution is advised to take Saxenda with alcohol.
- What are the side effects of Saxenda?
- runny nose, sneezing, or cough
- difficulty urinating or pain or burning on urination
- injection site rash or redness
What side effects should make me stop taking Saxenda?
Some of the more serious but rare side effects that make you to stop Saxenda are the following:
- ongoing pain that begins in the upper left or middle of the stomach but may spread to the back
- new or worsening depression
- thinking about harming or killing yourself
- clay-colored stools
- yellow eyes or skin
- heart pounding
- fainting or feeling dizzy
- swelling of the eyes, face, mouth, tongue, or throat
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- What is the best time of day to take Saxenda?
Morning although anytime of the day is also OK.
- What meal plan should I follow on Saxenda?
A reduced calorie diet, ideally low carb diet.
- What is the cost of weight loss injections Saxenda?
The retain cost is about $1200.00 per month.
- Can (Saxenda) liraglutide help with weight loss?
Yes, Saxenda is a clinically proven FDA approved medication that can help with weight loss. In the Saxenda study, 62% of patients on Saxenda® lost ≥5% of their body weight (vs 34% placebo) and 34% lost ≥10% body weight (vs 15% placebo).
- How do I get a coupon for Saxenda?
Go to Saxenda.com, register and get a saxenda savings card that can save about $200.00.
- How to stop taking Saxenda?
There is no need to titrate the dose down, you can stop when needed.
- How much is Saxenda with savings card?
You save about $200.00 with the Saxenda Savings Card
Is Saxenda an insulin?
No, Saxenda is not insulin. It works separately via the GLP 1 (gut like peptide 1) that deals with the communication between gut and the brain.
How many doses are in one pen of Saxenda?
The Pen has 18mg, so if you take 3 mg daily, then it lasts about 6 days, so for the month, you need 5 pens for 30 days.
Can Saxenda be taken at night?
Does Saxenda need to be refrigerated?
How many times a day do you take Saxenda?
Once a day
Can I take Saxenda every other day?
No, Saxenda should be taken daily.
Does Saxenda cause cancer?
In some patients with a family history of certain types of cancers called MEN (Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia), Saxenda is contra-indicated.
Where is the best place to inject Saxenda?
Abdomen or thighs.
Is Victoza and Saxenda the same thing?
Yes, both have the same exact ingredient – just a matter of what dose you inject. However, Victoza pens only go up to 1.8 mg SC daily so you have to take two injections of Victoza, one with 1.8 mg and another with 1.2 mg daily to get the total daily recommended dose of Saxenda if you are using Victoza.
- What is Saxenda prescribed for?
Saxenda is prescribed for weight loss in addition to diet and exercise.
- Is Saxenda safe for weight loss?
Saxenda is relatively safe drug for weight loss and can be a great tool for those that cannot take the stimulant based medications such as Phentermine, Phentermine and Topiramate, Phendimetrazine etc. For example, patients with anxiety or depression on psychiatric medication may benefit from Saxenda.
- Is victoza cheaper than Saxenda?
Victoza costs about half of what Saxenda costs although the dose of Saxenda is not double. Victoza goes up to 1.8 mg for regular dose and if you do the math, two vial of Victoza at 1.8 mg will cost about $1200.00 which is the same as Saxenda for a month supply at 3 mg. So, essentially, you are getting savings in terms of the total amount of the active ingredient. However, Victoza pens only go up to 1.8 mg which means you have to take two shots, one at 1.8 mg and another at 1.2 mg to get the total of 3 mg dose of Saxenda.
Do you lose weight on Victoza?
Can I use Victoza instead of Saxenda?
Yes, see above about the issue with the Pen
Does Saxenda lower blood sugar?
No. Saxenda does not cause hypoglycemia which is why it is approved for weight loss as it can be used in non-diabetics as well as diabetics.
Other questions you can ask your doctor
- Can Saxenda cause diabetes?
- What diabetic medication causes weight loss?
- How many times a day do you take Saxenda?
- How many doses are in a Saxenda pen?
- Can I take Saxenda every other day?
- Does Saxenda increase metabolism?
- Does Saxenda need to be refrigerated?
- Is Saxenda safe for weight loss?
- Is Saxenda FDA approved for weight loss?
- How do I start Saxenda?
- What pen needles for Saxenda?
- How do you write a prescription for Saxenda?
- How long does a box of Saxenda last?
- Does Saxenda lower blood sugar?
Other prescription appetite suppressants or diet pills.
|Insurance weight loss programs|
|Weight loss testimonials
“I lost 75 lbs with W8MD and feel great". - J.W.Smith, CPA
|Pennsylvania - Philadelphia
1718, Welsh Rd, Philadelphia, PA, 19115
Pennsylvania - King of Prussia
987 Old Eagle School Rd, Ste 712, Wayne, PA, 19087
New York City
2632 E 21st Street, Ste L2, Brooklyn, NY, 11235
401 E 55th Street New York New York 10022