- Are you a bit overweight or obese and wondering how many calories to eat to lose weight?
- Are trying to figure out how many calories your body needs to maintain its weight?
- Do you need to lose 20 pounds fast in a fixed time but need to know how many calories to consume in order to lose the 20 lbs?
- Where do you find the most accurate information on how to determine your basal metabolic rate or daily burn of calories?
- Are there free online tools that tell you quickly on how calories to eat to start losing weight fast?
If you are wondering about any of the above, you are at the right place. To begin to understand how many calories to eat in order to start losing weight quickly, you need to know some simple facts.
How many calories are in a pound of body fat?
In a pound of body fat, there are about 3500 calories. So, using this simple fact, let us say you cut down your daily caloric intake by about 500 calories a day, in about a week or 7 days, you total caloric deficit is going to be (7*500=3500) equal to the amount of calories in one pound of body fat. In other words, each 500 calorie deficit from baseline translates to one pound of body fat in a week. So, let us say you want to lose 3 pounds of weight per day, you would need to be at least 1500 calorie deficit per day for 7 days so you are expected to lose 3 pounds.
But first, you need to know what your daily caloric requirement is so that you can start cutting back from that number.
So, how do you determine your daily caloric requirements?
One simple and easy way you can determine your daily caloric intake for not losing or gaining weight is to do a test called Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) test that is available at most W8MD weight loss centers. By measuring the amount of oxygen your body consumes in a fixed time of a just a few minutes (5-10 minutes) using a breathing test, the indirect caloriemetric test measures your resting metabolic rate.
What is the cost of the Resting Metabolic Rate Test?
The good news is that most insurances do cover this test and so there may not be any additional cost to you. However, if you do not have insurance or have a high deductible plan, the self pay discount cost is only $50.00 for the RMR test, which is one of the most useful tests you can do as it gives very useful information as you try to lose weight.
Are there online tools that can give me a free and quick idea before doing the RMR test to know my caloric intake per day?
Although just a guestimate, there are some online tools that you can use to determine your weight neutral caloric intake by inputting your height, weight, activity level, age and sex.
- Daily calorie counter from Calculator.net
- Daily calorie counter from Cornell Univeristy
- Daily calorie counter from CalorieCount.com
Can use a mobile app to help me?
Yes, there are many mobile apps like the My Fitness Pal that can help.
Now, I know my basal requirement is 2500 calories, and I need to cut back by at least 500 calories per day to lose one pound per week. I tried eating a 2000 calorie diet but I still cannot seem to lose weight, why?
- While it seems very simple on the outset, most people find it very difficult to first know the calories in each everything they eat, and
- Second, it is difficult to keep track of these things.
- The third thing that hinders this calorie counting is the hidden calories. Average American was surveyed as to how many calories they consume and they said 2000 calories. Then, they looked at the same peoples caloric intake and they were consuming about 3800 calories which means we underestimate our caloric intake by almost 100% due to the so called hidden calories.
- The fourth thing is – what if your body slows down the metabolism when you start cutting back on calories? This happens if your body is sensing that you are starving it.
How can the W8MD’s meal replacements help prevent the starvation signal or body slowing down the metabolism?
By using protein nutrition with very little carbs, using the delicious and affordable W8MD low calorie and low carbohydrate, ketogenic meal replacement supplements, the body is going to sense that the nutrition is being provided on a constant basis like every 3-4 hours. This way, the body is not going to sense the starvation signaling which normally happens when you just cut back on portions without getting proper nutrition.
How expensive are the W8MD protein supplements for weight loss, such as the protein shakes, bars, and other meal replacements?
Although most physician weight loss programs charge over $5.00 per meal replaced, at W8MD Medical Weight Loss Centers of America, the meal replacements cost as little as $2.15 per meal replaced. Compared to an average grocery, self prepared meal ingredient costs of about $3.00 per meal, the W8MD weight loss protein meal replacements not only cut the calories down drastically but also can be a potential cost saving of about 20-30% compared to grocery food ingredient costs!
What meal replacement options are available at W8MD medical weight loss centers?
Our meal replacement options are very varied and have wide variety of protein bars, protein shakes, protein powder, protein cereals, various dinner items, lunch items, hot teas, protein desserts, snacks, and many different food items to satisfy your flavors, and nutritional requirements.
Are the W8MD meal replacements Kosher?
Most W8MD meal replacements are Kosher certified and we do have these certificates available at the centers upon request.
How about speeding up my metabolism with a medication or two to help burn fat in addition to the diet?
In order to assist you in fighting hunger, food cravings, and to speed up metabolism, our weight loss physicians can prescribe FDA approved weight loss medications including the new and traditional diet pills when appropriate in addition to a low calorie diet and increased physical activity!
- Contrave (Bupropion and Naltrexone) – Brand new weight loss medication
- The latest weight loss drug FDA approved in December of 2014, Saxenda
- Phentermine and Topiramate (Qsymia) – New diet pill! (Phentermine and Topiramate is one of the most popular and most effective weight loss medications) for fast weight loss!
- Lorcaserin (Belviq) – New weight loss medication FDA approved in June of 2012.
- Phentermine (Adipex)
- Topiramate (Topamax)
- Phendimetrazine (Bontril)
- Diethylpropion (Tenuate)
- Xenical and others
FANTASTIC program! Truly a life changer! The first several months I lost on average 3 pounds a week. I have now lost 87 pounds in 10 months and I’m still losing! I can say it feels almost effortless, for with the elimination of most carbs plus the medication I have ZERO cravings and minimal hunger. – D.M.